Recreational Spot Shrimp Fishery Opens May 19
Puget Sound and Hood Canal will open for recreational spot shrimp fishing starting May 19.
In all areas of Puget Sound you are limited to 80 spot shrimp per day in May, including dock, coonstripe and pink shrimp caught accidentally. Beginning June 1, the daily limit is 10 pounds of all shrimp with a maximum of 80 spot shrimp.
Traps can be set one hour before official sunrise during any open period in the marine areas without specified harvest hours. Traps must be removed from the water in these same areas by one hour after sunset at the end of an open period.
A valid 2021-22 combination license, shellfish license or Fish Washington license is required to participate.
- Each harvester must have a separate container for their catch, either in their possession or identified with their name.
- No minimum carapace size.
- Maximum of two shrimp pots per person and no more than four shrimp pots per boat.
2021 Spot Shrimp Seasons:
- Marine Area 4 east of the Bonilla-Tatoosh Line: Remains closed until further notice.
- Marine Area 5 (western Strait of Juan de Fuca): Open daily from May 19 through September 15, daylight hours.
- Marine Area 6 (Port Angeles Harbor, eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca, excluding the Discovery Bay Shrimp District): Open May 19-22, June 2-5, and June 16-19. Daylight hours.
- Marine Area 6 (Discovery Bay Shrimp District): Open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 19 and May 22.
- Marine Area 7 South (Iceberg Point, Point Colville, Biz Point, Salmon Bank): Open May 19-22 and June 2-5. Daylight hours.
- Marine Area 7 East (northern Rosario Strait, Bellingham Bay, Sucia and Matia islands, Strait of Georgia): Open May 19-22, June 2-5, and June 16-19. Daylight hours.
- Marine Area 7 West (San Juan Channel, Speiden Channel, Stuart and Waldron islands): Open May 19-22, June 2-5, and June 16-19. Daylight hours.
- Marine Areas 8-1 (Saratoga Passage, Deception Pass) and 8-2 (Port Susan, Port Gardner, Everett): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 19.
- Marine Area 9 (Edmonds, Port Townsend Bay, Admiralty Inlet): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 19.
- Marine Area 10 (Elliott Bay): Open 3 hours only from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on May 19 (this is the portion of Marine Area 10 east of a line from West Point to Alki Point).
- Marine Area 10 (outside Elliott Bay): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 19 (this is the portion of Marine Area 10 west of a line from West Point to Alki Point, which includes the Bainbridge Island shrimp fishing grounds).
- Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 19.
- Marine Area 12 (Hood Canal Shrimp District): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 19, May 22, June 2, June 5, and June 16. Please note that the Skokomish Park at Potlatch (“Saltwater Park”) Hood Canal boat launch is currently closed until further notice.
- Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound, Carr Inlet): Closed for spot shrimp harvest due to low abundance.
Additional dates and times may be announced if enough quota remains after the initial fishing days are complete.
Please check the WDFW's website for additional information.